Sunday, June 18, 2006

This is how we operate.

Yes, yesterday rocked. It was everything and more that I had expected. Although we were completely - I mean it kids, completely - exhausted at the end of it all, it was amazing and worth it. I cannot truthfully say that I would do it again, but I am very glad we did this time.

Part 1
We finally figured out the whole 'day parking' setup at the Roo and only had to walk about 10 minutes to the gates. We got over to the Sonic Stage in time for Gomez and grabbed a spot with a great view and a breeze. It was 90 degrees again but this time momma was dressed more appropriately (requisite flowy hippie skirt), so it was a bit easier to deal with.




O Gomez, I love you so.

It was a short set - 5 or 6 songs - but very good. The intimacy of that tiny stage and stripped down set was killer.

If you are not familiar with Gomez, you must immediately check them out. Momma says so. One great thing about them - three different singers, all with very different sounds and approaches to songs and song writing. The fellow pictured, I think his name is Ben, is my favorite. His voice just kills me. He sings "Tijuana Lady" and "We Haven't Turned the World Around," which are two of the loveliest songs you will ever hear. Go. Now.

After Gomez, we grabbed a beer from Broo'ers Corner, and headed over to the "What Stage" (the main stage) to hunker down for the next, uh, 8 hours. First up was Elvis Costello, then Beck, and then - well, you know who. There were other acts we wanted to see that were playing at the same time and we planned on jumping around, but when we got over there and saw that we could grab a very decent hunk of grass, we went for it. And then we just stayed there.




Shorty is excited for her boy (man, I suppose), Elvis Costello.

I neglected to take any pics of the Elvis show for some reason. Check Shorty's blog though, she was geeking out pretty hard, so I'm sure there are some photos. His set was great, as expected. That dude is just plain awesome. He did a lot from his new Katrina-themed album with Allen Toussaint, who is adorable, by the way. Good stuff.

to be continued....

No comments: