Thursday, June 15, 2006

Hola friends and total strangers. We completely kicked Day 1's ass & are now about to leave our first stop, Bloomington, Indiana, and head on. Before I get to far into the 'story of yesterday' (coincidentally, the title of Britney Spears' comeback single), I have two confessions to make:

Confession 1: I am not that bright.
I forgot to pack the little cord that allows me to transfer photos from my digital camera to Tom Cruise (FYI: Tom Cruise is my laptop; named so because it, like its namesake, is very tiny, yet weirdly powerful). SO, until I figure something out or buy a new cord or, I guess, a new camera, I will not be able to provide photo documentation of our travels.

You will have to take my word for it as I tell stories from the road. Oh, and Shorty had her camera up and running and took some good pics during the day yesterday (I had the 'night' camera), so check her page out. But keep in mind, you are missing some great art. Yesterday I took pictures of such things as - - my car, my midday snack of beef sticks and Sixlets, my feet, strange road signs, the sign from a place called Wink Market Market in southern Illinois, Asam the server at the the Casablanca Cafe, and skateboarders outside of a Jimmy John's.

Confession 2: I have no idea what the name of Britney Spears' big comeback single will be. I made that up.

DAY 1
Yesterday was the first day of 12 and was spent mostly in the car. The longest driving leg of our trip is out of the way, yay, and really was not that bad. We left St. Paul at about 3:30 am and pulled into the University Plaza hotel (nothing special but a good location) in Bloomington, Indiana around 3:30 pm (eastern time). We passed the time with good girlfriend-type conversation and Shorty's Ipod full of goodness. We listened to some downloaded Bill Hicks comedy - I'd say he has some very funny stuff (Gideons, The Hooligans vs. The Bloods) but also some painfully gross and not that funny stuff. Review: decent.

Between the two of us, we consumed: 1 giant dark roast coffee, 2 Rockstar energy drinks, 1 Starbucks double shot espresso thing, 1 Coke Blak, 2 diet cokes and 2 giant waters. Yes, we were tweaked out idiots for awhile and, yes, we stopped every 45 minutes to pee.

Overall, not much scenery to speak of until getting through Wisconsin, out of Illinois, and closer to Bloomington, In. Suddenly it turned into rolling hills, lush and endless, limestone bluffs and state parks/nature reserves. I learned what sycamore trees are and that apparently they are good for climbing. I had NO idea it would look like this here. I expected industrial flatness, a la Gary, which may very well be what the rest of Indiana is like. Southwestern Indiana, however, is lovely and a very pleasant surprise. I'm excited for the drive from here further south.

After we checked into our hotel, freshened up a bit (travel tip: never underestimate the renewing power of the face-wash and the tooth-brush. If you have the time, throw a change of underwear into the mix and you are good to go for the next 12 hours) we headed over to Shorty's old hood on the south side of town. We found the house where she grew up, met the new owners & got the grand tour inside, walked to her elementary school, and visited her old church. It was really, really nice to see Shorty so excited - actually nearly speechless and weirded out at times - to walk down memory lane. Very cool.

From there headed downtown to "The Square," right off the IU campus, ate FANtastic grub (greek salad, mozzarella & olive plate, seared ahi salmon & spinach stuffed trout - kickass!) and some great Moroccan white wine at a Mediterranean-Moroccan joint called the Casablanca Cafe. OH, and (of course, because I do this) I have some great pics of our food. But you can't see them because my camera ate them and won't spit them out.

We walked all around this square and then had a local brew, Upland, wheat beer at some second story balconied place that I have since forgotten the name of, and watched little skater boys fall on their faces below us. It was awesome. The campus area & the square here in Bloomington are beautiful; tree-lined streets, nice old courthouse, cofee shops, shops, bookstores, bars & such. I had no idea it would be so nice. Good for you, Bloomington.

OH and Shorty took me to this bookstore that has cats living there! I almost bought the book "Three Stories to Read to Your Cats" for the boys, but figured I can probably just read them whatever I want. What's so special about these three stories, anyway? But it was cool that these cats live in the bookstore. I will start bring my cats to work, effective immediately upon my return.

That's it - I must run. Tom Cruise's battery is nearly dead and mamma needs a smoke. Bloomington is a firmly no-smoking town. If fact, one must stand no closer than 10 feet from an establishment entrance while smoking and there smoking is not allowed anywhere near outdoor dining. Yeesh, okay I get it, we stink.

We're off to Best Buy to find momma a cord (or hell, a new camera if need be) and then to Nashville, Indiana, for some kind of fried biscuit and honey dish that Shorty remembers eating as a littleshorty, and then to the Days Inn in Murphfreesboro, TN, where we sleep be for the next four nights as we get stoopid at the big rock show - Bonnaroo Music Festival - and meet us some red staters.

Ciao, buddies.
-Nina

P.S. We have not, as of yet, found a World's Largest anything.

O and P.S.S. The best road sign so far: Write Your Senator! Guns Save Life.

Wow.

No comments: