Wednesday, June 21, 2006

"Let's go to Beale Street and get in a fight."

Hola, funky chickens.

Memphis, the beautiful beast, has had her way with us and now we are off to.... Kentucky. Louisville, Kentucky. There, I said it.

I have tons of great pics from yesterday but don't have time to load them all up and deal with the technical difficulties too. As soon as I can post them, I will.

Yesterday was really, really fun. We were complete tourists - and had a blast. We started with the Sun Studio tour and it was FANtastic. I loved every minute of it and was bummed when it was over. I absolutely love that period of time in music and the story of Sun Studio is soooo cool.

We caught the free shuttle to Graceland and I geeked out for an hour and a half. I know it's cheesy, campy, touristy.... whatever, but it is also quite awesome. I took about 80 pictures in there, partly so I can show my mom every bit of it. I never pictured myself at Graceland without her. Mom, I gave Elvis a wave at his grave for you.

Then we went to the other big tourist hotspot, The Peabody Hotel, and watched the ducks and the fancy people. The ducks were anticlimactic but it was fun to see that famous old hotel. O, and momma had her first mint julep. Yum. We left there and stumbled upon Automatic Slims, where we quickly realized - - hey, we found he cool kids! There is a hipster scene in Memphis (I had doubts) and it is at Automatic Slims.

We drank a carafe of sangria and pinballed down to Rendezvous for... you guessed it, ribs. Fantastic, delicious, spicy ribs with slaw and the whole deal. Good stuff, but I am ribbed out and jonsin' for some vegetables or something not bbq'd.

I hope our late-nite post didn't sound like we aren't enjoying it here, because we are. I've never been someplace where I've felt more.... ghosts, I guess. Memphis is an amazingly complex place - beautiful & brutal - and it has given me a lot to think about.

Ciao, buddies.
-Nina

3 comments:

Jason said...

There was an Elvis tribute artist (impersonator) at the Nordeast parade last night and the crowd went apeshit for this guy - me included. I tell you that Elvis (the real one) was a magical man. When just a smidgen of your essence can electrify an audience 25 years after your death...that's something special.

I want you to make a photo montage of your Graceland pictures and set it to his song "Green, Green Grass of Home." Also, I'll need you to hold me while I shudder and weep while watching it.

Rand said...

"...beautiful and brutal..." I often thought the same about Charleston, SC, another port city with many facets...

Anonymous said...

Superb writing Nina-I'm really having a great time keeping up with you and Shorty's adventures. Miss you:)