Sunday, June 18, 2006

All these things we'll one day swallow whole



Words. Words are tough for me after a Radiohead show. The first time I saw them, 1997 at the State Theater, I was changed for life. Not one show since then has disappointed, and this one at ol' Bonnaroo was no exception.

I feel and think so much about this band, Thom Yorke especially, and the shows they give us, yet, all of my words are dumb. I am sorry, my kittens.




Our plan to sit ourselves at the big stage for for 8 hours payed off (It was really, really atrocious for awhile. People just kept piling in all around us like a hippie flood and by the time the show started we could not move one inch). We thought about saying f* this and head toward the back, but it was, uh - 50,000 people deep. We were stuck, so we hung tough and kept our eyes on the prize.

When the lights went down, the place went completely berserk. I almost fell over in a heap. That feeling - when a band that makes your knees weak takes the stage and unleashes into their first number - you get from the beginning of a killer show, man, there is nothing like it. They opened strong; 'There, There' into '2+2 = 5,' and then into a nearly perfect set.

Personal highlights:

Street Spirit (my biggest favoritest song ever)
Myxomotosis (2nd favorite)
Climing Up the Walls
Exit Music
The Bends



O, and they played for 2 & 1/2 hours!
It was almost too much, I think I got overstimulated.

OK, those are as many dumb words as I can come up with about this show. Maybe I should just keep it simple. It was fucking awesome.

Ciao, buddies.
-Nina

P.S. I don't even understand how Thom York... is. His very existence is beyond me. He is like a tiny, magic elf who I imagine came to earth in a floating pink bubble, like Glenda the Good Witch. When he opens his mouth, it's neither words nor average human noises that come out, but some kind of bewitching elf lullaby.

P.S.S. Watch it tough, he's a tricky and weird little elf. And he's fucking awesome.

2 comments:

tawny said...

Awesome Awesome Awesome.
I'm glad you guys did this!!
(BTW, this is Kit)
Still waiting to have my request fulfilled....

Christine (CR) said...

You big stinker - I had NO idea & I was starting to wonder about this Tawny chick.

Like you haven't seen my ass, like a million times.