Saturday, September 23, 2006

I've been meaning to do it this way all along...
















Roman Forum
this was super cool, i thought. you could walk around right in it & it was free = good stuff.
it is pretty mind-boggling, when you are standing in the middle of it. the weight of the ages
& the power weilded and then lost really is palpable. but i like to dork out like that,




























Inside of the Pantheon
totally gorgeous. i wasn't expecting it to be as ornate as it was. pantheon is my favorite thing
from Roma.



























Trevi Fountain
yah, you know the one... Felini & all. it's ridiculously ornate & over the top, but also very cool.
we threw coins in, standing backwards and over your right shoulder, as you are supposed to.
we are now guaranteed to return to Roma.















The Vatican & St. Peter's Basillica
this is just gorgeous to walk up to - and then inside you're like... o yeah, this place. you've seen
it a million times, but it's still cool to see. the piazza in front of the cathedral, with the pilllars (designed by Michelangelo, of course. that grouchy little genius) is really pretty. I looked for Il Popers but didn't see him popping his weird little head out of anything.

















and of course, Colloseo
it was cool to see, but I have to say, it didn't deliver the way the Pantheon or some other big dog- types (Duomo, David, Parthenon) have done for me previously. I actulaly like the Roman Forum better. we didn't go in, it costs something stupid, like 10 euro - but we did drive by it at night or early in the am or something, and it was all lit up inside by what seemed to be big black-lights. maybe they have raves in there after hours or something.

okay, that was my good-little-traveler post. don't look for that again.

ciao, buddies.
-nina
p.s. shorty and I are shopped-out. i never thought i'd say that, but tis true. i didn't buy much at all today, just a (fantastic black leather, okay fake leather) purse. hey vickster - i looked for one for youm but couldn't find anything anywhere (in my price range) that I thought you would like. sorry!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! I'm glad you guys are having a great time:) Miss you a TON!

Anonymous said...

I like fantastic fake leather!!!! I aboslutely love the pictures of Rome - looks like the most beautiful place on earth. Wendi & I are going to order a pizza and watch "Somewhere in Time". Miss and love you!!!!

Christine (CR) said...

o, that sounds so super! have fun... RICHARD!

p.s. we are staying the night in Luton, UK, to catch our very early flight to istanbul in the am. this place SUCKS. we walked around for an hour to find some fish & chips!! everyone kept sending us in circles & it is the ugliest place ever. i feel like we're hanging out for the night in st. cloud. we are now going to go up to our room for spa time & maybe a movie, if we get crazy in Luton.

tawny said...

This is a direct quote from when I looked at the pictures from Rome. "Holy Shit. Are you kidding me??!!! That's real. Holy shit." Pardon my language, but holy shit. I must go there.

Christine (CR) said...

indeed - it's real. but, keep in mind that those photos are of all of the most beautiful things we saw. what I didn't post photos of are the seven million people in the street at any given moment, the graffiti everywhere, the dog shit in the street... and things like that.

but don't get my wrong - it is spectacular.