Tuesday, August 08, 2006

How can you be the cream when the crop is just as good?















Andrew Bird & Haley Bonar at the MN Zoo - Friday night.

Momma had just a fantastic weekend.

Friday night some of the ladies and I went to the MN Zoo to see Mr. Andrew Bird. I saw Andrew for the first time not too long ago at the Fine Line - - I thought he was really something special then, but now... wow, kids. This dude just approaches making music differently than I've ever seen before. It's more like science than, well, music.

I'm sure people who follow experimental stuff- some of that crazy Lost-Highway-Jazz stuff - see science-music all the time. I'm typically not a fan of that business since there is a fundamental lack of listenability. But Andrew Bird is different. Aside from his whole I'm going to strap a guitar to my back, play the violin on my front (and then switch in a bit), hauntingly whistle for a while, loop myself whistling by pushing these buttons with my naked toes, and I guess I'll bonk a xylophone approach.... aside from that, his voice is actually really great (different; maybe not for everyone), and his lyrics are wry, poetic, political, sexy, goofy.... good stuff.















Mel, myself & Shorty; bad kids smoking at the zoo.

The MN Zoo amphitheater was a big hit with all of us. I highly recommend taking in show there. It's amphitheater style, so steep seating & views for every seat, but it's quite small. Even better views for every seat. The sound was great, you get to meander some little paths to get out there, they sell beer and vino (you can take it to your seats), you can take photos (no flash), the crowd is a pretty cool hipster scene - plus, they can boast a very good line up every year.

We came back to the West Side after the show, feeling all fired up and ready to rock, and proceeded to drink & dance until well into the am.

Stay tuned... more photos to come.

No comments: