Tuesday, August 22, 2006

From my office. I mean, the kitchen.

Well kids, it's done. Until Friday, I'd been working in the same office (positions & cubicles have varied, but really the same office) since I was a 20 year-old student worker. But, the end has come. I've had my way with this tired old trick and now I'm out the door.

I thought I'd be more freaked out about leaving my job for truly no other reason than that it just isn't a good fit anymore - -but, I feel okay. In fact, I kind of feel like this:


P.S. Yes, that is Tatum. No, that is not wardrobe for her newest role as a suburban mother of three on a sunny afternoon mescaline binge.

What I feel most, at least at this point, is... well, sad, I guess. Although there is much, much more I won't miss (the same old routine, the policy enforcement, the forced niceties, the technical difficulties), there are certainly some things I will miss, and do already.



I miss my wall calendar. I liked my wall calendar. How will I know now how many inches I am from November?

I also miss the comfort of a place that became basically a second home to me, being an expert at something, unlimited printing, leftover meeting food, and free coffee. Even when it's Folger's back there, man, it rules.

Really though, what I miss most is my work buddies. Easy. I'm not going to name names - you know who you are. I love you fuckers.



The dude eats whole pies... at his desk... during work. Come on.

Anyway, enough of that. Now I only look forward - - to an entire month playing with my bffs in Europe, the finishing of the synthesis, completion of the mals degree and so on. Muchas to do, still, real job or not.

Ciao, buddies.
-Nina

P.S. Hey movie fans, I've seen some good ones lately & would like to share with you - - so, rent Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang & The Matador. Good stuff.

2 comments:

Rand said...

Happy Freedom, Nina!

As a former fellow servant I know much of what you say - leaving is kind of the career equivalent of moving out of your parent's basement and into your own "place."

Whole pies? Man!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up.
- former coworker