Tuesday, October 17, 2006

What a weird day.

I'm still feeling melancholy and a bit blue about being home. And I don't mean that I don't like home, because I do. But, I would rather be traveling in Europe. Right now. I'd just rather be traveling, always. But that's not that weird. Today was weird because I could not stop thinking about all of the food from Europe. Typically I'm missing things like, uh... the hearty preservation of ancient architecture, the late nights & good times with friends, the attractive men who actually care about fashion, the tiny cars...

But, o no, not today. Today was about crying over chocolate croissants and garlic prawns.

All day today I searched, fruitlessly, between the pantry, the fridge & the freezer, looking for anything mysteriously and deliciously French, Italian, or, fuck it, even German. Nothing. Peanut Butter, tuna, oatmeal, frozen corn, walnuts. I got excited for a flash when I found some smoked salmon, but it had a use-by date of September 4th.

So, I threw it across the room.

Here's a little tour of what I did not find in my kitchen today:

Onion Soup. (Paris)


Moroccan Smorgasboard, suckas: Lamb tagine, chicken & lamb couscous. (Momo, London)


Spinach spaetzel & mushroom sauce, white sausage & something else. (Munich)


Giant, buttery, garlicky, perfect prawns. (Hvar)


Andalusian gaspacho & Raw fish tartare with quinoa and hummus cream
(La Boussole- Paris)

Yes, yes,
I am that geek who takes pictures of her food... right there in the middle of a 4-star, with a flash & everything. But, do no worry- when people look at me all crinkly-nosed & disapproving, I just tell them I work for a fancy, important food magazine.

And then I play "see food" and give them the finger.

Ciao, buddies.
-Nina
p.s. I'm going to bed hungry (Amy said I was bad) after looking at all of this amazing food. I can't wait to see what kind of dreams I have.

No comments: