Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thanks, moms.

Muchas gracias for your get well wishes and home remedies. I am feeling much, much better. Yesterday about 6pm was the beginning of the turnaround time and it's gotten better every hour since. Excellent ideas, by the way. I pretty much followed Jason's sleep until you are numb theory, thank you. However, next time I get sick, I'm all over Rand's martinis and steak and eggs option.

How come when you're sick you want to sleep on the couch? I know I'm not the only one... what is that? Is it that you don't sleep well, so you try to fall asleep to the TV? Or, maybe it's just on par with how pathetic you feel - you are simply unworthy of your own bed? Or, maybe you just want to be in the middle of the room everyone walks through so you can get more attention? Probably just habit.

I watched a lot of crappy TV during my sojourn on the couch, but did manage to sneak in some winners, which I am happy to share with you, buddies:

The Dark Ages on the history channel. This was a great program. The Dark Ages don't get much play in the media these days.

Children of Men This is just a great film. As usual, Clive Owen rules and the film is almost as beautiful to look at as he is. There really is a lot to be said about it, I'd love to have a longer discussion of it with my sparty-pants friends - anytime. Especially interesting (not spoiling anything): He never once picks up a gun, although bullets fly around him most of the movie. The use of the term "homeland security" is not lost on the viewer. It's set in the not so distant future for a reason, "futuristic" sci fi type aspects are minimal for a reason - - it's more of a comment on current society than not. The hand-held visual effect works beautifully - sucks your right in, especially this amazing part where in some blood spatter sits on the lens for a shocking amount of time. Yikes. It's damn fine film making.

Rome on HBO. I on-demanded a few past episodes to prepare for the season finale. Phew, what a program. This season (#2) just knocked my socks off. The finale had this amazing and hilarious scene where in Marc Antony has yet to say fuck all and run into his own sword, but wants to fight Gaius Octavianin (later to become Caesar Augustus). In a drunken stupor - and in full Egyptian-style eyeliner, scrolling henna tattoos and a gold lame skirt - he parades around all tuff like and makes an effeminate slave boy giggle. He turns around, points his sword at slave boy and says "Do I amuse you?" and the entire Goodfellas funny like a clown scene ensues... ending in a beat down with a sword instead of a gun. Seriously.

The Riches on FX. Although not perfect, The Riches is totally enjoyable. It's a fresh new story, well-acted and certainly carries that trademark FX aplomb. It could be a lot quirkier, especially with Eddie Izzard as the lead, but it's still a fun watch. I think I'll stick with it for a bit.

Okay, I'm off to bed. My bed, in my bed room, not the couch. I'm definitely feeling better.

Ciao, buddies.
-Nina.

P.S. Attention HBO aficionados: April 8 - the new seasons of the Sopranos (the last season) and Entourage commence.

No comments: