Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Sorry, Buddy.

Shit!

I missed Elvis' birthday yesterday.



I realize that it may sound sarcastic when I talk about loving Elvis, but - I mean it. Love me, love my Elvis.

Honestly I'm a huge fan. This is something I really realized this year. Between the aforementioned, new Ipod-induced, rediscovery of my existing music collection, and the summer road trip the trip to Memphis & Graceland (see June 2006 archives), I have come to embrace the authentic appreciation and lifelong endearment I have for The King.




















It may not be hip to be a big Elvis fan in this day and age - but, whatever man, I'm not too cool for school. And I understand that there are buckets of reasons to consider the guy nothing more than a schmuck with a pretty face, wild hips and the voice of an angel (a sexy, sad, messed up angel), who pilfered the reign over rock-n-roll from others, packaged and sold his soul, and then let himself and his talent waste away into a punchline...

But, man, all of that is just so very sad. When the guy was young, pure and polite, and just loved music and his momma - when he would just open up his face and sing - well, it rips my heart out every time I hear it.




















And, good god, tell me that is not hot.

Ciao, buddies.
-Nina.

P.S. I heard this is the most requested photo from the National Archives.















It's funny because it's true.

1 comment:

Jason said...

You chose some stunner pictures of The King there. He was a beautiful man in his day.

I'm going to listen to that that first 1956 Elvis record (Elvis Presely) album right now.