Thursday, November 02, 2006

I'm probably stranger than I was in July

I am really jonesing to go out to the bar.

Since coming home from Europe, broke as a f.j.o.k.e., I have *not* gone out. I'm serious -- I have gone out (not counting ladysleepovers/bookclub meetings or co-ed keggers, held mercifully often this month. thank you) TWICE in five weeks. And of those two outings, one time Girl Hog paid for me; the other time, Mel generously & quietly took care of business.

Not that it isn't good to stay in and save some money, because it is. I get that. There is no economically feasible (or physically) way to keep up with Europe mode. However, the side-effect is that I've been sitting my fat ass on the couch a lot more often.

The good side of said ass on aforementioned couch, besides the money-saving and the QT I'm spending with my cats, is that I've gotten quite a bit of thesis-writing done and at least five books checked off my Read This, Dumbass list. An overview:

  • All the King's Men (just excellent. I loved this book)
  • Possible Side Effects (not Burroughs' best. funny enough but just too bitchy)
  • 1984 (for ladies' bookclub. a classic; as timely now as ever... you know how it goes)
  • Magical Thinking (very, very funny)
  • America's Report Card (surprisingly good. subtle social commentary yet... not. very "post-9/11," which was stated in the review and I didn't really get what that meant - but, I see it & it's cool)

The bad side is that I've picked up four new TV programs, and dropped none.

The weird side is that I have watched five Brian DePalma films in the last month. It's not really my fault. Comcast seems to be having a love affair with Mr. DePalma - because I've only watched one film on DVD; the rest on either some cable channel or On Demand - at the same time that I have taken to staying up late, drinking red wine, flipping channels by myself. What else am I supposed to do?

  • Blow Out (really pretty good. I'm sorry, it is)
  • Carrie (still scares me. I like the near absence of literal sex, yet the strong presense of it)
  • Body Double (no fucking clue)
  • Carlito's Way (solid movie. the Pacino-redeemed stuff is cheesy, but the Penn-damned scenes are killer)
  • Femme Fatale (dumb)

The good news is that I have a scheduled Happy Hour tomorrow. It's at a cool place and with two ladies I am thrilled to hang out/catch up with. Hopefully I won't embarrass them by not knowing what to do in, say, the dreaded officious wine-tasting situation. They always seem to come to me when a male is not present... odd.

Ciao, buddies.
-Nina

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take you out for a beer, nina.
p

Valayna said...

I'll see your beer and raise you a glass of wine and an appetizer:) I hate being broke and know exactly how it feels. We are on the stay home plan as well but all the good intentions in the world can't stop you from saving money. You still need to eat and drink sista.
I miss you!

Christine (CR) said...

O, man, thanks. ladies. I HEART YOU.